There are a lot of deadlines that come with running a business. Missing some deadlines can have serious financial implications to the health of your business. Let’s look at how much you’ll save by being on time with the following deadlines.
One of the toughest deadlines of all, making payroll, is essential to keeping employees happy. Making payroll tax deposits on time is even more crucial. Penalties and interest add up quickly when you are late making a payment. And you'll face federal penalties as well as state penalties.
Everyone knows about the April 15th deadline to file your taxes. Some people file an extension and have until October 15th. However, we need to remember that the best estimate of your tax liability needs to be paid by April 15th even if an extension is granted. Failure to correctly estimate and pay income taxes leads to a penalty that is calculated by multiplying the number of days the tax is late by the effective interest rate.
If we’re slow to make our accounts payable payments, our vendors may tack on a penalty, but the larger consequence is the effect on our credit score.
It’s so easy to let internal deadlines slide, but they may be the most important of them all. To move your business forward, set goals with deadlines so that you can measure your results.
Here are a couple of tips to master your deadlines so you can avoid the above consequences:
- Keep a list of deadlines or hire someone to help you with them.
- Make a mental commitment to yourself that the deadline is important to your business.
- Set aside the time you need to prepare for the deadline. Block time on your calendar and stick to it.
- Remind yourself of the consequences of missing the deadline.
- Try not to overcommit. Delegate other tasks when possible.
- If possible, automate or systematize the processes around the deadline so that it’s met automatically.
- Stay up late if necessary in order to meet your deadline.
- Celebrate when you meet your deadline!
While we can't help with all of your deadlines, we can help with those related to payroll, taxes and paying vendors. Please give us a call or submit a services request to see how we can be of help.